News

Search continues for final victim of boat fire off Santa Barbara

34 people killed

SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- - Officials say divers have resumed a search for the last missing victim who died in a fatal boat fire as authorities continue a criminal investigation into the blaze that killed 34 people off the coast of California.
  
The search had been halted over the weekend and Monday because of high winds.
  
Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown told the county's Board of Supervisors that salvage operations to raise the Conception out of the water also restarted Tuesday.
  
Brown said the victims, 21 women and 13 men, ranged from 16 to 62 years old.


  
Brown says the preliminary examinations indicate the victims died of smoke inhalation and perished before they were burned.
  
Authorities are working to identify the victims and release their remains to their families.


 


Download the KESQ News Channel app on iTunes or Google Play for up-to-the-minute breaking news alerts & more

More: Today’s Top Stories

First Alert Forecast

More: I-Team investigations

Find us on Facebook: KESQ News Channel 3 

Follow us on Twitter for breaking news updates: @KESQ  

We’re on Instagram! @KESQ_News_Channel_3

Watch live newscasts

Noticias en español: Telemundo 15

comments powered by Disqus

First Alert Weather

Sponsor or Powered by

Recommended Stories

Most Popular Stories

Photo Galleries