National-World

Retired Red Sox player David Ortiz is out of intensive care, his wife says

Upgraded condition comes two weeks after shooting

(CNN) - Former Red Sox player David Ortiz is out of intensive care two weeks after a gunman shot him in his native Dominican Republic, his wife says.

Ortiz remains at the Massachusetts General Hospital, and is in good condition, Tiffany Ortiz said in a statement issued via the Red Sox.

A gunman shot Ortiz in the lower back on June 9 while he was sitting on a crowded bar patio in Santo Domingo. The bullet passed through Ortiz, perforating his intestines and internal organs. It then hit his friend, TV talk-show host Jhoel Lopez, in the leg.

Following surgery in the Dominican Republic, Ortiz was flown to Boston, where he underwent a second operation.

Authorities in the Dominican Republic say he was not the intended target of the shooting.

A friend of Ortiz -- who shared a table with him at a patio bar in Santo Domingo -- was the target of the bungled hit, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez Sanchez said last week.

A total of 11 suspects are in custody and two more are on the run.


Download the KESQ News Channel app on iTunes or Google Play for up-to-the-minute breaking news alerts & more

More: Today’s Top Stories

First Alert Forecast

More: I-Team investigations

Find us on Facebook: KESQ News Channel 3 

Follow us on Twitter for breaking news updates: @KESQ  

We’re on Instagram! @KESQ_News_Channel_3

Watch live newscasts

Noticias en español: Telemundo 15

comments powered by Disqus

First Alert Weather

Sponsor or Powered by

Recommended Stories

Most Popular Stories

Photo Galleries