Boxer who killed pregnant mom in drunken crash sentenced

Boxer who killed pregnant mom in drunken

A former world champion boxer who killed a 29-year-old pregnant mother of three when he struck her vehicle head-on in Hemet while driving under the influence was sentenced today to 10 years in state prison.   

Marcos Forestal-Coutin, 29, pleaded guilty in March to DUI gross vehicular manslaughter and a sentence-enhancing great bodily injury allegation. No charges were dismissed under the plea agreement with the court, which Riverside County Superior Court Judge Mark Johnson certified, imposing the maximum sentence for the offenses.

Forestal-Coutin was arrested immediately after he caused the Sept. 10, 2018, collision that ultimately killed Krystil Kincaid of San Jacinto, who was in the third trimester of her pregnancy, and her unborn daughter.   

The defendant, ranked by the World Boxing Federation as a superbantamweight champion, wasn't injured in the wreck, which happened about 8:30 p.m. in the 500 block Warren Road, just north of Devonshire Avenue.   

According to Hemet police Lt. Eric Dickson, Forestal-Coutin was driving his BMW over the speed limit south on Warren when he veered into opposing traffic lanes.

Kincaid, who was at the wheel of a Chrysler minivan, was unable to steer clear of the defendant's car, and the two vehicles collided in the northbound lanes. The Chrysler caught fire, but patrol officers arrived within a couple of minutes and immediately doused the flames with their fire 

Kincaid was pinned inside the minivan, requiring firefighters to extricate her using industrial gear.

The victim's husband of 12 years, Zach Kincaid, told News Channel 3's Jake Ingrassia last month that he was on the phone with his wife at the time of impact and heard the rescue as it unfolded.

According to published reports, Forestal-Coutin stayed close by and livestreamed the rescue operation, suggesting that he was the victim.   

Dickson said officers detained the defendant, and after questioning him, determined he was intoxicated, resulting in his arrest.   

Kincaid was airlifted to Riverside University Medical Center in Moreno Valley, where she lingered on life support for six days when both she and the baby died.

A separate charge for the neonatal death was not filed by prosecutors. John Hall, public information officer for the DA's office, told News Channel 3 prosecutors did not decline to file these charges, they can't. California law does not allow for these charges to be filed in vehicular manslaughter charges.

Kincaid left behind an 11-year-old daughter and sons, ages 8 and 14, as well as a 14-year-old stepdaughter.

Download the KESQ News Channel app on iTunes or Google Play for up-to-the-minute breaking news alerts & more

More: Today’s Top Stories

First Alert Forecast

More: I-Team investigations

Find us on Facebook: KESQ News Channel 3 

Follow us on Twitter for breaking news updates: @KESQ  

We’re on Instagram! @KESQ_News_Channel_3

Watch live newscasts

Noticias en español: Telemundo 15

comments powered by Disqus

First Alert Weather

Sponsor or Powered by

Recommended Stories

Most Popular Stories

Photo Galleries