7) Mow tall grass.
Join with Your Neighbors to Prepare Your Neighborhood
1) Establish lookouts to monitor the approaching fire.
2) Open fire and emergency access gates.
3) Alert neighbors to the approaching fire and inform them about recommended preparation activities. Brief them on neighborhood escape routes and safety zones.
4) Patrol for spot fires. Extinguish small fires and report all spot fires.
5) Move parked vehicles from areas with narrow streets.
6) Assist neighbors who have special needs to prepare for evacuation.
This article was written by Sam DiGiovanna, Fire Chief at Verdugo Fire Academy.