PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - Palm Springs Police and firefighters were working a fire along the 200 block of East Arenas Road Wednesday morning. It was reported at 7:57 a.m. at Bongo Johnny's Patio Bar & Grille.
Firefighters said the fire was then located in the restaurant's kitchen where it was contained within a half hour.
According to a news release by the Palm Springs Fire Department, the point of origin was determined to be in a small nook area off the kitchen which contained a laundry hamper containing linens and oil-soaked rags. The fire was caused by "the spontaneous combustion of the oils contained in the rags and spread to the surrounding affected areas."
The fire was deemed to be accidental.
Stacy's at Palm Springs, next door, also appeared to have suffered significant smoke damage.The Street Bar is also in the same building, but managers there said they saw no damage to that business.
Arenas Road was initially closed between Calle Encilia and Indian Canyon Drive but reopened shortly after 11 a.m.
There was no immediate word on how much financial damage the fire caused.
Stay with KESQ News Channel 3 / CBS Local 2 News for continuing updates.