Suspected Fort Hood shooter dead

FORT HOOD, Texas - A suspected shooter at Fort Hood, Texas, is dead, but the situation is still considered an active shooting, multiple U.S. officials tell CNN.

Click here for most updated information

[Original story posted at 7:06 p.m. ET]

A shooting incident was under way Wednesday at the Army's sprawling Fort Hood in central Texas, and injuries were reported. The shooter remained at large, according to officials.

"There has been a shooting at Fort Hood and injuries are reported. Emergency crews are on the scene. No further details are known at this time," the Army base said in a statement.

Fort Hood's official Twitter feed asked that all personnel on post shelter in place.

Sirens were going off. A source described the situation as serious.

President Barack Obama has been briefed on the incident and will continue to receive updates, according to a White House press pool report.

A shooter remained at large, a U.S. official and a Fort Hood police official told CNN.

Sheriff's deputies from Bell County and state troopers were assisting by securing the area around the post, Bell County Sheriff's Lt. Donnie Adams said.

"We still have an active shooter on post," he told CNN.

Authorities in the town of Killeen, just outside the gates, are also standing by to help, said Mayor Dan Corbin.

"It is unclear what is going on right now," Corbin said. "We have been in touch with appropriate personnel, we are standing by with our police and ambulances, if needed. We are very concerned. Fort Hood is always there for us and we want to be there for them."

Police in nearby Waco advised those on post to stay away from windows and to keep doors closed and locked.

"Injuries are being reported. Be AWARE!! If you are in the Ft. Hood Post area there is an on-going active shooter," the department tweeted.

On November 5, 2009, Army Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan opened fire at Fort Hood, killing 13 people and injuring 32.

He shot fellow soldiers at the processing center. Prosecutors maintained that the American-born Muslim underwent a progressive radicalization that led to the massacre at the base.

Hasan allegedly picked that day because it was when the units he was scheduled to deploy with to Afghanistan were scheduled to go through the processing center.

The former Army psychiatrist was convicted of premeditated murder, and a military jury recommended that Hasan be put to death.

Copyright 2014 by CNN NewSource. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

comments powered by Disqus

Photo Galleries