PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - The top cop in Palm Springs witnessed a crime, called it in, and chased down a suspect over the weekend.
According to the Palm Springs Police Department, Chief Bryan Reyes was on his way out of town early Saturday morning when he witnessed an argument near Stevens Road and North Indian Canyon. The 'heated discussion' between a security guard in a marked vehicle and a person on foot.
Police Chief Reyes says he watched the guard drive the security vehicle past the person, make a U-turn and then charge directly toward the pedestrian.
Police say the security guard intentionally ran over the pedestrian.
Police said Chief Reyes called for medical help and chased down the guard, who pulled over and was arrested.
Jalen Gilmer, 23, was booked on a charge of assault with a deadly weapon.
No word yet on the reason for the initial argument.
Stay with News Channel 3 and CBS Local 2 for updates on this story.
- Uber accused of espionage, hacking and bribery in bombshell letter
- Rep. Kihuen won't run for re-election amid sexual harassment allegations
- Trump is optimistic about effects of GOP tax bill
- Trump touts tax reform as he leaves for Camp David
- Ex-wife of NBA player Lorenzen Wright charged in his 2010 slaying