A hiker hopes his discovery will lead to some answers in the disappearance of a hiker from Ireland who was last seen just west of the valley.
25-year-old David O'Sullivan was last seen 8 months ago at an Idyllwild lodge while on a journey to hike the Pacific Crest Trail.
John Goodell, a hiker from Oregon, made a discovery while hiking in Idyllwild shortly after O'Sullivan disappeared.
"As I was walking through I smelled a very strong decomposing carcass," Goodell said.
Goodell, a wildlife biology and field science expert, said that although the smell might be related to an animal, he wanted to pass on the observation to police.
"This has been sticking in my mind for the last several months, and I thought I would relay it to the folks that were trying to find him, Goodell said.
Volunteers will be heading out to the area that Goodell mentioned this weekend.
A few people have come forward with information since O'Sullivan's disappearance but nothing concrete.
Anyone with any information about David O'Sullivan is asked to contact the Riverside County Sheriff's Department at 951-791-3400.
- Sri Lanka government in crisis after comeback of ex-leader
- 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' inspires London campaign
- Thousands without power after windstorm in Washington state
- At least 12 incidents involving threats, weapons at schools since Florida shooting
- Russia probe: Putin's 'chef' one of 13 Russians indicted