PALM DESERT, Calif. - President Donald Trump released his $1.1 trillion budget Thursday. A proposal which includes a $54 billion increase in defense spending and slashing federal funds like the Community Development Block Grant program.
Mitch Blumberg, the senior vice president for Desert ARC says losing CDBG funds would harm hundreds of its clients.
"Our buildings and facilities would deteriorate. That money goes to help us serve the most vulnerable of our fellow citizens. In our case it's people who have disabilities, like autism, cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, other behavioral issues. It would be a real loss to us," Blumberg said.
Desert ARC isn't the only local organization to take a hit. Last year the city of Palm Desert was granted more than $290,000 in CDBG funds. Programs like Martha's Village, the Coachella Valley Rescue Mission, and Safe House are just a fraction to be affected.
But Trump's supporters stand by the proposed budget.
"I think he's a business man and we need more of a business attitude in government. Those people who want to donate to non-profits then that's fine, but not all taxpayers should have to pay for those nonprofits they're not agreeing with," said one Trump supporter.
"You have to question as to why the government wants to harm the most vulnerable sectors of our civilization, our life, our culture," Blumberg said.
The Trump administration will release it's full budget in May.