PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - A Santa Ana Wind pattern is giving gusty and dry conditions to the Coachella Valley. There are several active warnings for tonight.
1. High Wind Warning through Thursday... the National Weather Service issues a High Wind Warning when a potentially hazardous wind event is likely. Sustained winds between 20 and 30 MPH with gusts around 40 MPH are likely through Thursday night. Winds will peak sometime Tuesday afternoon, calm down some on Wednesday, and then return on Thursday.
2. Red Flag Warning through Thursday... gusty offshore breezes combined with dry air create an increased chance of wildfires.
This graph from the National Weather Service shows their forecast for the peak wind gusts across Southern California tomorrow. What important to look at are the arrows that show the direction of the wind. You can see most of it is flowing from inside out. The Santa Ana Winds are spurred on by high pressure that creates the breezes.
- Man accused of hate crime, murder goes on trial in neighbor's killing
- Tammy Duckworth blasts Trump as 'draft dodger'
- German political deadlock ends as SPD votes for coalition talks with Merkel
- Pence: Immigration talks over until government reopens
- Bernie Sanders on new Trump immigration ad: 'It is really sad'