PALM DESERT, Calif. - Children ages 18 months to eight years old celebrated at the Portola Community Center Monday night with hugs, cheers and even pint-sized t-shirts.
The occasion? Completion of a rigorous swimming course that lasted between several weeks and several months.
Nine of the children have Down syndrome, and, alongside typical children, received recognition from their peers and their instructor for their accomplishments.
The Infants Swimming Resource course, taught by instructor David Heil, was geared toward survival swimming, and was paid for through a collaboration between two local charities.
For more information on free swimming lessons through Make a Splash for Joel, contact Jackie Valenzuela at email@example.com
To learn more about ISR swim instruction, contact David Heil at firstname.lastname@example.org or 818-602-9134
VIDEO: See the progress the kids made in the water as they learned how to swim
- Snowfall leads to 70-car pileup on I-35
- Security guard caught on camera pretending to shoot students
- Florida student Emma Gonzalez to lawmakers and gun advocates: 'We call BS'
- Sri Lanka government in crisis after comeback of ex-leader
- 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' inspires London campaign