NILAND, Calif. - El Centro Sector Border Patrol agents working at the Highway 111 immigration checkpoint arrested a woman suspected of smuggling methamphetamine Tuesday afternoon.
Agents said the 31-year-old woman was stopped at the checkpoint at about 2:45 p.m. while driving a GMC Yukon. A Border Patrol canine alerted agents to her vehicle and she was sent to the secondary inspection.
After inspecting the vehicle, agents said they discovered 30 packages containing methamphetamine hidden inside the Yukon's spare tire.
The total weight of the methamphetamine was 31.91 pounds with an estimated street value of $111,685, according to the Border Patrol's news release.
The woman was identified as a United States citizen. She was turned over to the Drug Enforcement Agency along with the vehicle and methamphetamine as the investigation into the suspected smuggling continues.
Agents have told us in the past that spare tires are one of many locations favored by drug smugglers as they try to hide drugs from law enforcement.
Since fiscal year 2017, which started Oct. 1, 2016, the El Centro Sector has seized more than 1,141.39 pounds of methamphetamine.
Noticias en español: Telemundo 15
- DOJ says Trump and politics did not play a role in the AT&T lawsuit
- Mike Pence: Parkland shooting is 'every parent's worst nightmare'
- CA man guilty in identity fraud connected to Russian interference in election
- Kelly changes security clearance process in wake of Porter scandal
- South Africa's new president invokes Mandela, promises 'a new dawn'