WASHINGTON, D.C. - Rep. Raul Ruiz, a doctor, is continuing to fight for congressional hearings on the dangers of open air burn pits in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Local veteran Jennifer Kepner died in October after a battle with pancreatic cancer that she blamed on exposure to burn pits in Iraq.
We brought you her story in a News Channel 3 I-Team investigation earlier this year.
Burn pits have been used to dispose of all trash on military bases, including hazardous materials.
Ruiz is now asking the House Armed Services Committee to hold a hearing on the dangers of burn pits.
Twenty-two other representatives have signed on to the request.
Ruiz had already asked for a hearing by the Veterans Affairs Committee.
- Samsung unveils special edition Galaxy Note 8 only for Olympians
- Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham: 'I'm not going to vote' for funding bill
- Poison control calls 'spike' due to online laundry pod challenge
- Brexit bill passes final stage in House of Commons
- Suicide blast in Nigeria leaves at least 10 dead, dozens injured