CALEXICO, Calif. - A 27-year-old convicted sex offender was arrested on Sunday for illegally entering the United States near Calexico.
At around 11:15 p.m., Border Patrol agents patrolling just 3 miles west of the Calexico Port of Entry, arrested the man and transported him to the El Centro Station for processing.
Agents conducted record checks and identified the man as Jose Luis Vargas-Hernandez, a Mexican national.
He had been previously convicted of a misdemeanor sex offense for unlawful sexual conduct with a 16 or 17-year-old; he was sentenced to 18 months-probation and time served in jail.
Records also revealed that Vargas subsequently was ordered removed by an immigration judge on Aug. 30, 2016.
“Our job as Border Patrol Agents, is not only to enforce immigration laws but to ensure the safety and well-being of our community,” said Supervisory Border Patrol Agent Joyce C. Golosino.
Vargas will be prosecuted for re-entry-after-removal.
Noticias en español: Telemundo 15
- Paramedics called to Justice Sonia Sotomayor's house for low blood sugar
- Mattis: Military will continue to function, but shutdown will have 'terrible impact'
- Anti-abortion bill passes the House ahead of 'March for Life'
- Democratic House Intel: 'Plenty of evidence" of money laundering by Trump Org
- Justice Dept. says it will retry Sen. Bob Menendez