RANCHO MIRAGE, Calif. - A look at the 39-year-old Los Angeles man arrested for allegedly attempting to kidnap a 9-year-old girl at a store in Rancho Mirage then led police on a high-speed chase before being arrested in Hemet.
Roberto Cardenas has been convicted of multiple crimes:
- In 1997, he was convicted for possession of controlled substance,
- In 2001, Cardenas was convicted of Robbery In 2001 where he was sentenced to 7 years in state prison
- In 2013, convicted of Felon in possession of firearm
- In 2015, arrested for driving without a license
Lisa Miller, a local mother who volunteers for Valley safety group Christopher Clubhouse, said that every person inside the store did exactly what they should have done to prevent a tragedy. She says it's important to take action.
"Educate yourself, educate your family and pull together as a community. We are all in this community together and we're all responsible for each other's safety and awareness."
Cardenas is expected to appear at the Larson Justice Center in Indio Friday.
- Former playmate allegedly had affair with president
- Group chat reveals school shooter obsessed with race, violence and guns
- Special counsel filing reveals new bank fraud allegations against Manafort
- Trump visits Florida hospital, sheriff's office after Parkland shooting
- School shooter showed violence and mental instability at home, police reports reveal