INDIO, Calif. -

Indio city council member "Sam" Torres officially suspended his proposed tax ballot initiative on Coachella Fest.

That the draft measure would have imposed a 5 percent to 10 percent tax on admissions to entertainment events of more than 2,500 people in Indio.

The city council declined to consider the tax on June 6. Torres had vowed to petition to get it on the November ballot.

Goldenvoice President Paul Tollett told the Associated Press that would mean a $4 million to $6 million tax.

Tollett says if the tax is approved, 2013 would be the last year for Coachella and Stagecoach in Indio, take a hiatus in 2014 and bring back the festival at a different venue in 2015.

In a statement on Thursday afternoon, Torres said, "the potential for the music festivals to move out of the city exists, and if this should occur it would negatively impact the region; I cannot in good conscience allow this to happen no matter how dire the city's circumstances."

For more watch News Channel 3 News at 5 and 6 and CBS Local 2 News at 5:30 and 6:30!