Looking to brighten up a room? Whether it feels like a cave or just a little on the dim side, try this mix of tips and ideas for bringing in more light and maximizing what you have.
1. Start with white. Paint, decorations, etc. White is the best way to scatter light, since it doesn't absorb it like dark colors do.
2. Light the walls. Adding lights to walls can create a highlight effect.
3. Cool with blue. Light blue colors are neutral enough but still provide a pop of color to a room.
4. Counteract with black. Black or navy furniture or decorations against a white wall give just enough dark to accent and still feel bright overall.
5. Add area rugs. Dark floors can make a room feel darker, a patterned or light rug help lighten things. Patterns will especially help offset dirt from showing.