The American Red Cross is opening a shelter in response to the evacuation order covering the area of Apple Canyon Road, in the city of Idyllwild, Riverside County.
This order was issued in response to potential flash flooding in the burn area at approximately 1:00 pm.
As of 7:00 pm the shelter will be open at the following location:
Idyllwild School (K-8)
26700 Highway 243
Idyllwild, CA 92549
Those affected by the evacuation order are encouraged to visit this shelter for a safe place to stay, food, hydration and emotional support.
"This is a difficult time for many of our neighbors, but no one has to go through this alone," said Maxine Margaritis, regional CEO of the American Red Cross serving Orange, Riverside and San Bernardino Counties.
"We encourage residents to listen to authorities and come to our Red Cross shelters if told to evacuate," added Lois Beckman, CEO of the Riverside County Chapter.
Some basic evacuation safety tips include:
* Be ready to leave at a moment's notice.
* Listen to local radio and television stations for updated emergency information.
* Back cars into driveways or park in open spaces facing the direction of escape.
* Remember to pack any medicines and medical devices you may need over the next few days .
* Confine pets to one room so that you can find them if you need to evacuate quickly.
* If you have asthma or another lung disease, follow your health care provider's advice and seek medical care if your symptoms worsen.
Those interested in helping with relief efforts should visit RedCross.org to make a financial contribution towards disaster relief or get information on how to volunteer in your community.
About the American Red Cross:
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org<http://www.redcross.org> or join the conversation at @RedCross<https://twitter.com/redcross>.