THOUSAND PALMS, Calif. - Insurance agents are providing tips for homeowners to protect their property in the case of heavy rainfall.
Residents should be aware of what their home and auto insurance policies will cover and how to guard against storm damage.
Homeowners with pools are advised to lower the water level to prevent flooding.
Other precautions include:
- Clearing debris and brush from the roof to prevent the clogging of gutters
- Help clear street gutters of debris
- Make sure to understand what your policy covers and what it doesn't. In California, the standard homeowner insurance policy does not cover damage caused by rising water
- A flood insurance policy will cover damage from flash floods and mud flows
- Contact local authorities about possible blocked neighborhood storm drains
- Check roofs for leaks and place sandbags strategically around your home to divert rushing storm waters