INDIAN WELLS, Calif. - Update: An announcement at the CareerBuilder Challenge golf tournament Sunday morning alerted everyone that Chelsea Clinton is unable to attend the Health Matters Activation Summit due to being snowed in back East.
Chelsea Clinton on Twitter sent this message: "Heartbroken my flight (& all backup options) cancelled b/c of the blizzard & so missing our #DayOfAction in Coachella Valley today."
President Clinton will step into some of her roles during the two day event. Mr. Clinton was not at the La Quinta High School Day of Action program Sunday afternoon, but the program still went on with Foundation President Donna Shalala stepping in.
President Bill Clinton returns to the valley this weekend, as he hosts the fifth annual Health Matters Conference in Indian Wells.
President Clinton along with his daughter Chelsea, will join hundreds of healthcare leaders, who will be discussing a wide range of issues from healthcare to technology for the two day conference which begins Sunday.
On Sunday, Chelsea Clinton brings back her Day of Action program, this year she will be at La Quinta High School, helping to build a community garden, as part of the City's efforts to create school-based gardens, that encourage healthy eating and cooking.
Students and volunteers will also prepare 150 healthy meals that will be donated to the Joslyn Senior Center's Meals on Wheels program.
Later that evening Chelsea will host the opening Town Hall, at the Renaissance Indian Wells Resort and Spa. She will be joined by US Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy, as they discuss health disparities through technology and innovation.
The Health Summit continues Monday, with President Clinton leading the opening panel discussing the quest for longevity and rising death rates. The conference will conclude later that evening as Donna E. Shalala, President, of the Clinton Foundation leads a forum about how communities become better address health needs in there area.
Tenent Healthcare returns as title sponsor, and this year Tenet hospitals Desert Regional Medical Center, JFK Memorial Hospital and Hi-Desert Medical Center will host a special luncheon at the summit that will include President Bill Clinton.
Sessions at this year's Health Matters Activation Summit will include:
* Town Hall focused on addressing health disparities through technology and innovation;
* Celebrity morning workout led by Jenna Wolfe;
* Opening plenary session on the quest for longevity and our rising death rates with specific regards to the Coachella Valley and CHMI's work to reduce health disparities in additional communities including Little Rock, Houston, Jacksonville, Natchez, and Galesburg;
* Discussion between Chelsea Clinton and Abby Wambach on girls and women in sports; and
* Closing plenary session on how communities and local organizations across the country, despite the national landscape, are driving the development and scale of solutions that are best suited to their local needs.
For more information