PALM SPRINGS, Calif. - A woman and her children escaped injury early Thursday morning when their motorhome caught fire while filling up with gasoline at a north Palm Springs service station.
Firefighters were called to the Chevron on the 6600 block of North Indian Canyon Drive at 5:15 a.m. Thursday morning.
A woman in the RV said the engine caught fire after they had pulled into the gas station and parked at the pumps.
The family was on a road trip from Washington State to Arizona.
Some children were sleeping in the back of the vehicle, but got out safely before the flames destroyed everything inside.
The service station was closed after also suffering damage in the fire, which took an hour to put out.
A station roof awning over the RV fire had melted.
The motorhome was hauling a small storage trailer with a dirt motorcycle inside, according to the RV's driver.
She said she had insurance to cover her losses, and was just grateful nobody was hurt.
Firefighters had no official word on the fire's cause, nor an estimate on the dollar cost of the damage.