INDIO, Calif. - About 500 students were evacuated from Indio High School Wednesday morning after a natural gas line was ruptured by construction equipment, according to officials with Cal Fire.
The ninth-grade students were undergoing freshman orientation when the four-inch gas line was struck at about 8:20 a.m.
All of the students are safe and the Gas Co. was called in to repair the line. Officials said the repairs were expected to be complete by 11:15 a.m.
Because of the evacuation, orientation has been rescheduled for Thursday, August 21 at 6 p.m. Parents should call the school at 760-775-3550 for additional information.
Avenue 46 was shut down in front of the high school while crews responded to the gas leak.