Some valley residents spent part of their Saturday to fight cancer.
They gathered at Marywood Palm Valley School for the Relay for Life event. This is the first one to be held in the city of Rancho Mirage.
The 24-hour event, which runs from noon Saturday through noon Sunday, is meant to create awareness within our community. It also helps fund-raise for the American Cancer Society.
Organizers say about 60 percent of the proceeds go to the local community programs. The other 40% will go to cancer research.
The next Relay for Life will be held next weekend in Desert Hot Springs. For more information on how you can get involved, go to their website at www.relayforlife.org and click on Local Resources and Information.